Sunday 4 November 2007

Dolphin Killing

I decided to take a break from studying my law and thought I'd read the news. And I'm greeted with this. Basically, its in regards to Hayden Panettiere (celebrity from Heroes) and a group of people who surfed out to sea in Japan to try and stop their annual dolphin cull. To be honest, I never knew that dolphins were killed yearly by the japanese, a tradition that stretches back for centuries. People can be so ignorant, I know and we take it for granted thinking the world is really alright when it clearly isn't.

I don't know how the japanese can be so cruel as to kill these peaceful, loving, trusting creatures and their babies. What have they ever done to anyone? And for what? For their meat? I'm sorry, maybe I've been living under a rock these past couple of decades but are the japanese running out of food? Are chickens, cows and pigs or fish going extinct at the moment? Must we now resort to eating dolphins, whales and turtles? What are we going after next? Possums?? Maybe we're going to realise one day that the skunk is a delicacy and that baboons taste good in a stew.

You'd have to have a heart made out of stone not to feel for the poor dolphins. It makes you so angry and so helpless because really, what can you do? I don't eat dolphin meat, I don't buy anything that comes as a result from harming a dolphin and what does that change? How are you going to encourage the market for dolphin flesh to just...give it up? The japanese eat it, no use putting up videos of the killings cause they get to see it, front row seat, and it doesn't bother them in the least.

The breaking and torture of baby elephants in Thailand, the whaling and now dolphin culling in Japan. It all makes you want to cry. These gentle animals have no way of defending themselves against us, they just don't stand a fair chance. How can man be so cruel? I just cannot fathom. Can anyone out there imagine having to kill a baby dolphin by slashing its throat and watching the blood gush out, while it screams and just not cry your entire heart out? Those men are ruthless and they all deserve to feel the pain and agony of the dolphins 10 times over.

There is a documentary titled Earthlings that you can find here. It is NOT for the faint hearted and only goes to show you what man is truly like. We kill ourselves, we kill the animals, we kill plants. Is it just...human nature?

I'm not a vegetarian as I've said before but I don't eat ostrich, kangaroo, turtle, dolphin/whale, snake and monkey meat to name a few. I've been reading up on the killing of dolphins in Japan and I have to say I've read quite enough.

Please, if you are reading this, help spread the word. Hopefully, people are inherently good and something will come out of this.

No comments: